Selling a home can be a complicated and emotional transaction. Having the right REALTOR to guide you through the process and help you achieve your goals (and dreams) is important. Knowing that you’re working with a reliable, experienced, and ethical real estate expert who will coordinate all the details — from pre-sale preparation, pricing, marketing, and negotiating contract terms and contingencies, to communicating with the involved agents, attorneys, insurance, inspection, and mortgage professionals — can make all the difference in your listing and selling experience.
I promise to be your ally from the start, and work hard to get your home sold quickly and for the best price possible. We’ll work together as a team. And communicate with each other openly and honestly each step of the way.
The points on this page will give you insight into the process of marketing and selling your home. When you’re ready to get started, call me and we’ll make a plan, fill out the necessary paperwork, and prepare your home for sale. I’ll help you each step of the way to check off your to-do lists. And finally, I’ll oversee your closing so you can move on to your next adventure.
Let’s start here.
1. WHAT DOES YOUR TIMELINE LOOK LIKE?
- When would you like to move?
- Once we have a BUYER, it can take another 45 to 60 days until your closing.
- Let’s make a plan (based on your goals).
- Let’s plan your “Coming Soon” and “On Market” dates.
2. TAKE A PRE-LISTING TOUR OF YOUR OWN HOME.
To help you assess your house and find what areas need attention, you can print my Home Report Card. And get ready to prepare yourself before listing time. Inside and out, from your kitchen and baths to your garage and landscaping, you’ll need to assess, improve, clean up and put on the finishing touches.
Tour your home, but see it as if you were a buyer.
What’s your first impression?
- Curb Appeal, Landscaping
- Front Door, Entrance/Foyer
Grade your rooms: Living, Dining, Kitchen, Great Room, Beds, Baths, Bonus, based on . . .
- Style, Features, and Condition
- Appliances, Countertops, Cabinetry
- Flooring, Storage, Fixtures
- Paint Color, Window Treatments
Are there special features and improvements worth mentioning?
How about your home’s overall appearance?
- It is clean & clutter-free?
- What overall grade would you give it?
3. THE STEPS TO TAKE BEFORE LISTING YOUR HOME
Paperwork and Documents
- A Pre-listing Inspection?
- Necessary Repairs or Services?
Check off to-do lists
- Your Property Survey; Important Home-Improvement Receipts; Termite Bond; Title Policy, and other pertinent home documents.
- A spare house key for the lockbox.
4. MARKETING YOUR HOME
Let’s be different and attract attention.
Staging is key to selling a home.
What exactly is Staging?
- Preparing your home for sale
- Showcasing its best features
- Merchandising and Marketing your house like any other product
Staging also includes . . .
- Updates and/or repairs
- Arranging furniture
- Adding or subtracting accessories, art, and light
- Professional photography
Reasons to Stage your home
- Present and show better than competing homes for sale (including new construction and higher-priced homes)
- Attract more buyers by looking better in professional photos in print and web media
- Sell faster than un-staged houses
- Increase the number of showings & offers
- Spend less time on the market
- 6-10% more money from the sale* (spend on staging, make more selling)
- Avoid markdowns
- Sell 78% faster*
- Makes moving easier (you’re already packed)
- Less stress
*Statistics above based on research by RESA, the Real Estate Staging Association.
5. MARKETING YOUR HOME
Photos and Words
Professional photography is the chocolate frosting on top of your staged cake.
- Complete your to-do lists before your photo shoot.
- Use my checklist: Prepare For Your Photoshoot.
- Review your photos and marketing materials and prepare your home story.
- Review descriptive marketing words, details, and phrasing for the most impact.
- Buyers begin searching online so photos and words really matter!
- Let’s talk about targeting your buyers with my Pinpoint Direct Marketing plans.
One of the many benefits of listing with a Better Homes and Gardens® Real Estate agent is the Industry-Exclusive access to the US database culled from more than 200 million consumers who interact with the Better Homes & Gardens brand through the magazine, web site, and other sister brands.
6. MARKETING YOUR HOME
Say it with me: People purchase perfectly priced pretty pennies pronto. (Yes, I made up that saying. And it’s true!)
Price is key to positioning a home in the market so it sells.
- Review the competition and update our Market Position Plan.
- Determine the best price to position home correctly and receive maximum value.
- Review up-to-date statistics.
- Pricing too high or above our competition will have negative consequences.
- An early offer (sale) results in a higher offer (sale price).
Buyers today are educated and will eliminate overpriced homes from their lists. And, no amount of marketing will sell an overpriced home.
7. JUST SAY, “I’M REPRESENTED.”
If you’re out and about hunting for your next home . . .
- You may end up at an open house or a model home at a builder’s site. Agents at these locations represent the seller or builder and will want you to buy their home.
- Just say “I have an agent” and/or give my name if needed for registration purposes.
- Or show them my e-business card (Savvy-Card, link shown below).
- Then, when you’re ready for my involvement, there will be no issue allowing me to represent you.
My Savvy-Card makes it easy
- Easy to create and access your own listing site (if you are selling your home with me).
- Easy to search for homes through my MLS, Multiple Listing Service, account.
- Easy access to all my contact information.
- Easy to share with your friends and family.
- Easy to refer your friends and family.
- Easy to add to your smartphone’s home screen.
8. RELATIONSHIPS MATTER
Why? Because . . .
- Relationships, to me, are more important than transactions.
- You control my business.
- I don’t spend time looking for customers (cold-calling, door-knocking, etc.), but dedicate more time to helping you.
- I work hard to go above and beyond for you throughout your transaction and even after your sale.
- Referrals from people who know and respect me are my primary source of business.
- I like working with people like you who appreciate the level of service I provide.
Relationships are key to successful real estate transactions—and, to my business.
As your agent, I will . . .
- Help you prepare your house for sale.
- Determine prices of comparable homes for sale.
- Use PinPoint Marketing (only BH&G) to target buyers.
- Bring buyers and target agents who have ready-buyers.
- Reach a larger network with Cartus, our corporate relocation system.
- Negotiate the terms of the contract and sale.
- Advise you on inspection and property issues.
- Help you with document signing and paperwork.
- Communicate with agents, attorneys, insurance, inspection, and mortgage professionals.
- Help you manage the details of closing.
Helping you with each step of the staging/listing/selling process is my priority.
9. YOU’VE GOT THIS!
Make a plan
- We’ll work together as a team.
- I’ll guide you through the entire real estate transaction.
- We’ll speak regularly and honestly about any plan changes.
Prepare for your sale
- I’ll help you improve, enhance, prepare, and stage your home to sell.
- I’ll advise you so that your home is positioned and priced competitively.
Market and show your property
- Coordinate showing appointments.
- Make it easy for me to show and sell your home.
- Be ready to negotiate.
- Prepare for an offer and plan your move.
Contract and closing
- Follow my lead and check off your to-do lists.
- Close – Leave Keys – Move!